Part of the OFM Advantage lies in how we view things through a different lens. We don’t look at Carbohydrates (CHO) as the ‘End-All’ for fueling like the conventional High-Carbohydrate Nutrition Guidelines suggest for athletes but neither do we view them as so toxic complete elimination is necessary in the way the Keto community and many trendy Health Experts are currently demonizing them.
Rather, the way we suggest people actually view concentrated forms of carbohydrates is as a legal PED (PED=Performance Enhancing Drug) precisely because they meet the criteria:
- Do they boost performance?
YES! THIS IS WHY THEY ARE THE ‘GO-TO’ FUEL!
- Are they Safe & Effective when used prudently?
OF COURSE! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE ORIGINAL CARBOHYDRATE LOADING STUDIES DEMONSTRATED!
- Is using the ‘Minimum Effective Dose’ the approach to obtaining the greatest biological response from using carbohydrates?
YES, THIS IS WHY OFM MAKES SENSE FOR PERFORMANCE. CHO ACTUALLY HAS A MUCH STRONGER, MORE SUSTAINABLE EFFECT USING LESS WHEN THE ATHLETE IS USING FAT AS THE PRINCIPLE ENERGY SOURCE FOR AEROBIC METABOLISM! CHO NOW BECOMES ‘ROCKET FUEL’ INSTEAD OF A LIFELINE TO PREVENT ‘BONKING.’
- Can Health & Performance be maintained & enhanced through ‘Strategic’ use of CHO?
YES, ‘STRATEGIC CARBS’ USED LIKE A ‘LEGAL PED’ NOT ONLY BOOST PERFORMANCE BUT PROVIDE THE STIMULUS FOR IMPROVED UTILIZATION & TOLERANCE TO CHO.
- Do they compromise Stomach & Gut Health including the biome?
AS SO MANY ATHLETES HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY OVERUSE OF CONCENTRATED FORMS OF CARBOHYDRATES CAN LEAD TO MULTITUDE OF GI ISSUES, MANY WITH LASTING IMPACTS ON HEALTH & PERFORMANCE
- Are they addictive?
- Are there serious consequences to overuse?
- Is performance & health compromised long term?
IT’S NOT A QUESTION OF ‘IF’ BUT WHEN & WHAT FORM(s)!
While carbohydrates can and do boost performance (a good thing) the concept of “CHO as a legal PED” becomes clear when you understand…..
- Carbohydrates are NOT an essential macronutrient for humans
- How addictive they are physiologically and psychologically
- The real and serious physiological, metabolic & hormonal consequences resulting from chronic over-consumption of concentrated forms of CHO.
- When over-consumed, their impact on health and performance.
……then you can see why it is CRUCIAL to utilize concentrated forms of CHO “Strategically” and judiciously to maximize the benefits, obtain your personal performance & health potential while eliminating, minimizing & mitigating the downside risks. While counter-intuitive on the surface this is done by Optimizing YOUR Fat Metabolism using OFM.